Shoe: Altra Rivera
Category- Neutral Road Shoe
Weight-Men’s (US9) 8.6oz. / 244g; Women’s (US8) 6.67 oz. / 189g.
Heal to Toe Drop: 0mm
Stack Height: 26 mm of Altra’s Ego Foam
- Responsive springy Foam
- Light enough to complete speed days, while offering enough cushion to work up to some longer runs(*I would feel comfortable running 6-8 miles in these)
- Ego foam offers high energy return
- Breathable upper with wider toe box(*compared to traditional running shoes*)
- Fits true to size
- Very comfortable and breathable upper
- May be too narrow and low volume for many traditional Altra wearers
- Areas of exposed foam on the outsole. May lead to decreased durability in this area
- Altra Escalante Racer
- Very similar to one of Altra’s most popular shoes. It uses the same underneath foam
- Saucony Kinvara
- Both of these shoes are lightweight neutral shoes. If you don’t want to go all the way to a 0 mm drop, the Kinvara offers a 4 mm drop
Who are the Altra Rivera good for?
I would recommend this to someone who is used to or looking to move to a lower drop shoe. The rivera offers a versatile trainer that can be used to crush any training session. I would avoid these if you are used to 10-12 mm drop shoes or if you wear heels a lot. This large change in heel drop may lead to achilles irritation.